Meeting the Challenges of Financing Hydropower Projects
Trondheim, Norway, 16–21 October 2017
Application deadline 21 August 2017
Registration fee: NOK 17 000
The course will provide participants with insight into a variety of financing models for hydropower projects looking at both private and public requirements and solutions. Participants will be introduced to concepts necessary in the assessment of the economic viability of hydropower projects, with emphasis on the challenges of a liberalized energy sector.
The course focuses on project financing and the role of energy in a country’s economy as well as legal and institutional framework. The planning process of a project, with emphasis on the economic and financial considerations and assessments will be elaborated. Environmental and social considerations and risk analyses will be introduced.
• Importance of water in the national economy
• Trends in hydropower development in view of liberalized markets
• The planning process – making projects attractive to investors
• Economic and financial assessments
• Legal issues
• Corporate social responsibility
• Financing of hydropower projects – various models
• Implications of hydropower development from deregulation and privatization
• Sustainable use of natural resources and its implications on project economy
• Implications on project development from EIA/SIA processes
• Design cost estimates and cost benefit analysis
• Economic risk- and sensitivity analyses
The course is aimed at management personnel and exe- cutives with responsibilities in the planning and decision making processes of hydropower projects on a national/regional or company level. A technical/engineering and/or economic background is relevant. Executives of power companies, ministries, water resource and energy agencies and relevant private sector enterprises with management responsibility or influence on project planning will benefit from this course.
Participants are expected to arrive in Trondheim on Sunday, 15 October, and leave Trondheim no earlier than Saturday 22 October 2017 Information on travel, detailed course programme and other relevant information will be sent to all selected participants in due course.